Clunking noises

To simplify the board system...
Antworten
andrewm
Clunking noises

Beitrag von andrewm »

Arrrgh!

my poor HZJ78... was on gravel the other day, so I decided to wack in the 4wd and diff locks (driving straight for a couple of minutes) so that get used for the first time in quite a while.... then unlocked everything, and drove some circles...

Ever since them, I ocassionaly have clunking noises going around corners.....

Sounds like its coming either from the rear diff, or rear suspension...

Is there anyway I can test where its coming from? without strapping myself under the car?

Am running a HZJ78 with OME suspension and ARB lockers...

Thanks for the advice,

Clunking along

Andrew
The early bird catches the worm ... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
andrewm
Clunking noises

Beitrag von andrewm »

PS: have about 10,000 km on the car and suspension

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
andrewm
Clunking noises

Beitrag von andrewm »

Okay!

I have found the noise...

Its the leaf springs. On the right hand side everything is ok, but on the left hand side (rear), when the top two springs move over each other, at some stage they stick, and then jump appart, and thats where the clunking noise comes from. You can feel the hole suspension and car move with this noise. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nungu

Clunking noises

Beitrag von Nungu »

I don't have a clue for your springs. My guess is that you bent a shackle or something...
But:
Quote: from andrewm on 0:08 am 31. Aug. 2003
... was on gravel the other day, so I decided to wack in the 4wd and diff locks (driving straight for a couple of minutes)...

Wtf did you do that for? As long as the going is ok in 2wd, I don't use 4wd unless I expect a tough bit. 4wd alone won't really hurt on gravel, though.
I would never ever use the locks without need, however. For one, they make the rig difficult or impossible to manoeuvre. On the other hand you put more strain on your whole drivetrain, even while driving straight - for no gain at all if you could as well be moving without. And if luck would have it, you might even bend a shackle or whatever from the additional tension and torsion of your suspension parts (guessing again, never heard of it).
Diff locks are only and only for situations where traction is limited or lost on at least one wheel (loose ground surface or extreme flexing) and low to very low speeds. And for short distances at a time.
I remember Andreas Reseneder (where the heck is he actually?) writing of people just making it to his workshop in Africa - after having driven a couple of hundred kms on tarmac with 4wd and all diffs locked (Hey, we've got a 4wd, we're in Africa, this is where all these levers and buttons come in :beeschbiggrin:).
No offence meant!
Cheers,

Nungu

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
andrewm
Clunking noises

Beitrag von andrewm »

@Nungu
I have airlockers in my HZJ, and unfortuantely, they have to be engaged, and disengaged every now and then, otherwise, the won't work when I am in Africa... (The seals supposedly have problems, and the air leaks out, so no more locking)...

As for keeping them locked on tar, etc... Thanks but not thanks! :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Antworten

Zurück zu „Multi Language Board!“