HZJ 78 Handling

To simplify the board system...
andrewm
HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von andrewm »

Hi all,

Was doing quite a lot of driving on 'landstrassen' today in and around Wuerzburg...

Do all HZJ78 have chronic understeer or is it just mine?

On the front I have middle OME, and Rear, I have the heavy OME (where we removed one leaf per side). I also have 285/75R16 BFG ATs

What I find really scary is not so much that the vehicle understeers, but that fact that as soon as it STARTs to turn (after tuning the steering wheel a very long way), it then starts oversteering, and you then have to correct very quickly...

I unfortunately have never driven a HZJ with standard suspension, so I don't know if this is normal.

I realise that its not a sports car, but slighly more humane handling would be great... Even the Landys steer better :) (Actually I know thats an unfair comparision due to their supperior suspension setup)

Is there anything I can do to improve this? or is it just a case of hang on tight in corners?

Cheers

Andrew
The early bird catches the worm ... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
netzmeister
Administrator
HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von netzmeister »

Hi Andrew!

Don´t panic - that´s quite normal...

Your 78 reacts really simple: He likes to drive straight on until you really force him to follow the curve. Then he puts up a good fight - and finally he kicks... ;)

Just drive into the curve, adjust a little bit, lock the wheel and steer with the accelerator (unlike with little roadsters that doesn´t mean you control the breakout but the understeering). :biggrin:

But to be serious: Surely that depends on the springs and dampers. But you got a nice and approved combination - to improve that it would be a lot of effort.

Regards,
The Webmaster
Nächstes Buschtaxi-Treffen: 6.-8. September 2024
LEGENDE LAND CRUISER - Das Buch...erhältlich bei mir! ;-)
facebook.com/buschtaxi.net | instagram.com/buschtaxi_net | youtube.com/@buschtaxi_net

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
HermannJosef
HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von HermannJosef »

Hi andrew,

if you like to try a non-improved bushtaxi, just call me, we´ll find a solution.

Hermann-Josef

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
andrewm
HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von andrewm »

@Alex

I was worried that you would say that... Is pretty much what I have been doing, just ocassionly though, you misjudge a corner, and then you start holding on for dear life as the body roll starts to take you into the oncoming traffic....  Oh well, 'Uebung macht der meister'...

Have also been using the accelerator trick (this also works very well with those small go-carts! :)  )

@HermannJosef
Thanks for the offer, but am normally based in Munich... Should you wish to try an 'improved' HZJ and are in Munich, feel free to drop me a line!

Cheers

Andrew
The early bird catches the worm ... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
moritz

HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von moritz »

Dear Andrew,
to adjust your car's overall balance, you'd most probably have to play with the stabilizer bars, but this should be left to the chassis-experts.
You could try stiffer stabilizer-bar-bushings just in the front - which can be done quite cheaply - to correct the final oversteer, but this won't help your turning in, and total effect might be negligible (neglectable?).
On a 4x4 all this usually is unnecessary with enough rubber on it.
You might just use larger/wider tires/wheels and/or a better tread.
This improves the amount of available traction and steering response to a point, where your rig starts (re)acting like a male dog: Just lifting the inside rear leg, which then defines the limit virtually without under-/oversteer. Well, this might leave you longing for an advanced Torsen, or something similar, but that's another story.
Then there's another point I experienced with my 35x12.5 R15 versus 33x12.5 R15: At sizes this large, use a rim as large as possible. Preferably 17" (or 18" on BFG MudTerrain KM these days I think).
Those large sidewalls make for a tricky combination driven sharply on the street (and a sbJ40 becomes a bitch to catch even in the dry without power-steering, I can tell you...).
Grüße vom Möchtegern-Sowjet
sbJ40[url=http://www.sbj40.gmxhome.de/Jemand_noch_einen_kleinen_sbJ40,_vielleicht.htm]*[/url]:
sooner or later a little ZiL, but still
powered by klassenfeind

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
moritz

HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von moritz »

.....well,.........didn't realize that you're already on "285/75R16 BFG ATs" in my first reading, which makes me look quite foolish now, but for whatever it's worth, I'll leave it that way, now that it's typed.

In the end, maybe you're just too fast. We should discuss swapping engines, now.
sbJ40[url=http://www.sbj40.gmxhome.de/Jemand_noch_einen_kleinen_sbJ40,_vielleicht.htm]*[/url]:
powered by klassenfeind

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
netzmeister
Administrator
HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von netzmeister »

Try using the brake - maybe that´ll help...

*ouch*
Nächstes Buschtaxi-Treffen: 6.-8. September 2024
LEGENDE LAND CRUISER - Das Buch...erhältlich bei mir! ;-)
facebook.com/buschtaxi.net | instagram.com/buschtaxi_net | youtube.com/@buschtaxi_net

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
moritz

HZJ 78 Handling

Beitrag von moritz »

...just tried a silly little joke, netzmeister, not intended to be considered an educated guess or even super-professional advice. Don't worry...