hj-61 alternator

1980 - 1989
Antworten
Staff
hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von Staff »

Hi all,

I would like to install a Waeco CF-040 fridge in my HJ-61.  The CF-040 can run on 24V, so I wonder, can I just plug it in, or should I get one of those sophisticated (and expensive) 3rd battery installations ?

I was asked how strong the alternator of the car is, so anybody ... ?
Thanks,
Staff

P.S. We will be driving the car almost daily.

(Edited by Staff at 14:51 am 17. June 2005)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
RobertL

hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von RobertL »

Hi Staff - the Waeco CF-040 has a power consumption of 45 Watt which should be no problem for your battery/charging system when you drive almost every day. Its not running all the time - only 20-30% of power-on in normal operating conditions. Also this box has a low voltage protection which you can adjust on starter batteries.
So I think it's not necessary  to install a third battery. I would do this if you plan to have the box running for more than 24 hours without having the engine running.

I myself decided to buy a Waeco CK-040 which is a 230 Volt AC box and I will run it with a DC inverter and a low-voltage protector in the car. This solution is almost 1/3 the price (with respect to my existing DC inverter) of the CF-040 box and the CK-040 has a metal housing which is much more robust than the plastic housing of the CF-040. In fact the CK-040's weight is 22kg. But I'm a strong guy :biggrin:

(Edited by RobertL at 15:23 am 17. June 2005)
lg Robert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Staff
hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von Staff »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info.  Since I'm a strong boy too ;), I will have a look at the CK-040 as well.

What type of CD inverter do you have ?

Kind regards,
Staff

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
RobertL

hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von RobertL »

Its a 12V-220V DC "Power Inverter" from Micro Control which deliver 150 Watt power and 300 Watt peak power on modified sinus wave.

One thing you have to consider is that the AC boxes are probably more noisy than the DC ones. So if you want to sleep aside the box you probably wont be happy about it.
lg Robert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Staff
hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von Staff »

Thanks Robert,

I went to a Waeco-shop in Belgium, but they told me the CK-40 was not available in Belgium.  Where did you buy yours ? (Recently ?)

Regards,
Staff.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
RobertL

hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von RobertL »

I dont have it yet - just ordered it here in Austria. Should be also available in Germany.

http://www.waeco.de/de/produkte/kompressor_kuehlboxen.php?artOrigID=50&hirID=147

Maybe you can find a dealer in Germany near the Belgium border.

http://www.waeco.de/de/ueber_uns/haendler.php
lg Robert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
RobertL

hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von RobertL »

@Staff
To complete the story I want to tell you that this solution is not really first choice. Due to the high starting current of the box you need an inverter with the same price, or higher, as the box. I now decided to go for a real 12V box.
lg Robert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Onkelchen
Landfrau

hj-61 alternator

Beitrag von Onkelchen »

Hi Staff,

since the HJ61 has 24V, the CF-Fridge would be the better choice.

Otherwise you have to convert the 24V to 12V then 12 V to 230 V.
That makes no sence if you want to use the fridge only or mostly in your car.

I own a 24V WAECO-fridge (an older one) in my HJ60 which has also 24V.

If you plan to use the box for a longer time without driving, you can use a second pair of batteries. So you don't have to install a second alternator. The 24V WAECO-Box has two settings for the "battery-saver". Hi ist for starting-batteries (cut-off at 23 V). Lo ist for comfort-batteries (cut-off at 21 V). My WAECO runs with a pair of two 36Ah batteries about 3 days (in summer, using as normal fridge) and at least one day using to keep something frozen.

It works very good an has less power consumption than a 230V fridge with two converters.

Think about it.

Greetings
Onkelchen
(Little Uncle) :)

(Edited by Onkelchen at 10:49 am 13. Aug. 2005)
Die gefährlichste aller Weltanschauungen ist die der Leute, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben.
(Alexander von Humboldt)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Antworten

Zurück zu „Land Cruiser J6 / 60 Series“